Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Summer Salad

Betty Crocker’s Summer Layered Chicken Salad is one of my all-time favorite meals. I showed the girls how to make it at one of our summer evening Activities. After teaching the girls basic washing and knife skills, I divided them up into three teams. I put each team in charge of preparing and chopping up a different ingredient for the salad: chicken breast, strawberries and lettuce. I let each of the girls help me add the ingredients for the salad. Then, I showed them how to make the homemade salad dressing. They took turns whisking it up. They were all amazed that you could make your own salad dressing at home!

We set the table, opened some store bought rolls and shared a meal together. The girls LOVED the salad and really enjoyed putting it all together. I sent them all home with the recipe to share with their families.

Note: I checked with the girls' parents to make sure I wouldn't be dealing with any food alergies. Better safe than sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment